A day as the Dive Master

Last weekend I drove down to the Sand Dollar dive boat with much anticipation. I wasn’t heading out to dive as usual, but for my first true training day as Dive Master. I was shadowing the awesome Kendra, who tends to be the usual DM aboard the Sand Dollar and is fantastic at keeping people safe and smiling. The destination that weekend was Santa Barbara Island, known for several sea lion rookeries where the animals are abundant and friendly, allowing divers get up close and personal. I’d not yet had the chance to get out on this trip but had been looking forward to it. If things went well I would even be able to duck under the water for a few minutes.

I definitely wasn’t the only one excited for the weekend, the boat was over sold with 31 divers, plus Kendra and I, making 33 on a 30 diver boat. We had assigned bunks, something different than usual on this boat, and one couple assigned to a single bunk that just was not going to work. The scheduled check in time was 9:00pm, so I arrived just before 8:30p. Kendra was not there yet, but the bag area was full, tanks were laden with gear and people were milling around. Luckily I had the shop waivers with me and the boat waivers were already on the table. I greeted several of the people on the boat, then laid out the waivers and started organizing the boat ones that some folks had already signed. The line started forming as everyone came up to sign waivers and get checked in. As I was giving out bunk assignments we had a little chaos because some of the earlier people had put their stuff on bunks since its typically first come first served so we had to wait for them to get back so we could shuffle gear around the bunks. I had half the people checked on before the official 9:00p. Tank space became an issue as we were already full, then had a couple with twin tanks which meant they each took up two spots. Kendra and I put our gear on the floor and were able to get two others to as well. Around 10:00pm I gave my first ever boat briefing; reviewing the rules of the Sand Dollar, where the head is located, how food worked the next day, safety, etc. I was nervous as hell, and stumbed over a few points, but everyone was listening and Kendra  backed me up when I missed something. After that I sat and chatted with various divers while Kendra and I filled in the roster slate. Then I brushed my teeth and was in bed around 12:45a just a few minutes after we started under way.

Sunday morning broke grey and cloudy, another typical California day. We could hear the sea lions barking just on shore and splashing through the water. Luckily it was not an overly anxious crowd and people woke up slowly, eating breakfast before jumping in. This gave Kendra and I some time to go over a few things, and start to suit up. I assisted one diver with a bad tank o-ring, answered as many questions as I could about a site I’d never been to before and then gave a quick safety briefing regarding proper boat exit and entry techniques, gear safety, flow, etc. I ducked and weaved through the divers to the stern and started helping Kendra get everyone into the water. We had the usual surface ballet as people discovered weight issues (these usually occur when people are used to diving in warmer water). One pair stands out, they swam back to boat to request more weight. I gave the guy four pounds, then he tried to descend again; coming back again we asked how much weight he was wearing. His answer, “um…with what you gave me I have 12” Yikes! I quickly grabbed two 5 pounders, giving him 22 total and he was on his way. We had one pair discover she had no weight in after jumping in the water. Her husband was surprised because he filled her weight pockets the night before. We discovered later that she and her son had the same BCD, and dad filled the son’s BC not the wifes. So she was trying to get down with zero weight and the son had close to 40 pounds on. Luckily it didn’t glue him to the bottom and they sorted it all out during the surface interval.

We had a couple divers not used to the colder water and hoping to have a guide for the first dive. This is where I got lucky. Kendra asked if I would take them on a guided dive, of course I said yes! They waited for us to get everyone else in, then as the last few divers were jumping in we geared up and were on our way. Let me tell you, sea lions and little kelp or rocks sure make a dive disorienting. I had to check our location a couple times on the surface a and each time ended up different from where I thought we were. We ran into a small group of sea lions frolicking, as well as several individuals who would zoom by to check you out a few times. Their speed and swirling grace through the water definitely made me, clad in my 7mm wetsuit, scuba gear, hood, gloves and fins, feel big, slow and bulky! Focusing mostly on keeping the group together I only tried to snap a few pictures, and learned just how quick the sea lions were as half my pics are just the flippers in frame!

Once everyone was safely back on board we went through roll call and pulled anchor to head to a new location. We anchored off the twin sisters, two rock outcroppings that pop out of the water off the main island. Capt. George warned that there could be a bit of a current around the sisters and to be careful. I checked divers off with Kendra and we took notice as the first pair to enter the water started slowly drifting towards the rocks. It wasn’t too long after all the divers were out exploring that two tiny black dots popped up between the sisters one arm slowly waving in the air. We waved back to acknowledge that we saw them. The choices were to get in and snorkel out to them, or send the boat out to pick them up. Both divers looked calm and had not panicked so we choose to send out the boat deciding that the current must have been stronger than anticipated and they were merely tired. This became the trend of dive #2, the boat would swing out to pick someone up, and by the time it was back someone else was waving as they drifted away. Gear was left in the boat between pick ups to help speed things along and only several divers made it back to the platform under their own power. It was a hectic and interesting dive, and a great learning experience to see how smoothly Kendra and the boat crew handled what could have been a stressful situation.

The gear was left in the skiff as we moved locations for the final dive.  We were at another rookery with a large open and calm dive area. There were sea lions all over, bouncing out of the water and barking from the rocks. There was a bit of a scramble to get all the tanks from the skiff off and filled, but everyone got in pretty quickly. Kendra was able to head out for a quick dive while I kept watch from the boat for the first few people to come back. I helped pull up cameras and fins, checked names and wrote down exit times from the roster as each diver clambered up the ladder. Kendra popped up right by the boat exactly at her 20 minute mark and helped me as more divers popped up. Sadly she didn’t run into a single sea lion, while from the stern I’d watched several dance around the boat! The flow slowed a bit and she told me to jump in and snorkel around to see if I could see any action. I wandered near the kelp and swam around with no luck. As I swam back to the boat though one curious little sea lion swam up and around and I was able to capture a little video as he curiously came up and darted away.

After all the divers were out and roll call was taken the crew pulled anchor and we headed back towards home. I was exhausted from the busy day, and started to fade about half way back (next time, more caffeine!). Kendra told me to go get some sleep and that she’d get me up before we got back so I could help get things organized and do the final announcements. I was out right after crawling into my bunk and got a short nap. As the boat pulled into the harbor I gave the group the final annoucements, thanking them for joining us, upcoming eco events, rental reminders, etc then joined Kendra in saying good bye as people filed off. All that was left was a quick check to gather anything that had been left. We had two pair of guys underwear, a mesh bag and a brand new looking regulator bag (that luckily the diver had labeled, so I dropped it off at the shop for him the next day). Kendra was amazing and split her tips with me since I had spent the whole day working with her. I walked away with a good chunk of change, exhausted after an amazing and eventful day of divemaster training!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s